Suggestions for RBWar 4

Problems or suggestions for the Red Baron War series? Post here.
US95Pickett

Suggestions for RBWar 4

Post by US95Pickett »

S! all, starting with RBWar 4, I had increased the number of pilots per side to 18 because several of the pilots suggested it and the server appeared to be stable and able to handle the increase in pilot numbers.

However, in the RBWar 4, week 1 match of Sunday, June 27, 2010 at 3pm est, the German team was outnumbered by 15 to 11. (Note: even if the team size wasn't increased from 16 per side to 18 per side, it wouldn't have made any difference in the German team being outnumbered). Even though it is common for a team to be outnumbered from time to time, being outnumbered by a large number of pilots is not fun for the outnumbered team and can be quite discouraging for them.

So, here's what I suggest to try and keep the tournament fun for all pilots:

If a team is short for an upcoming match, then some of the pilots from the opposing team switch sides to the team that is short so that both sides are even for that match; this could be done 1 or 2 days before the match starts. (several of the Allied pilots have already agreed to temporarily switch sides to help the German team if they are short). Any pilots who switch sides temporarily to help even the sides would NOT have access to that teams private forum; they would get their assignments from the team they are helping that week in teamspeak prior to the match starting. Also, any pilots, who temporarily switch sides to help even the sides for a match of the war, would receive the RBWar ribbons and medals for both teams.

I realize that some plane match-ups are not even (that is very hard to do with the planes in RB3D); but I've tried to keep the overall plane match-ups even (if planes one week favor the German team, I try to make sure the planes in another week favor the Allied team and that overall the plane match-ups are fair for both sides). But I'm open to your suggestions for what you believe are good plane match-ups for the matches (but overall, they need to be fair for both sides).
US95Pickett

Re: Suggestions for RBWar 4

Post by US95Pickett »

S! all, I received a message from AirSurfer with some suggestions for RBWar and I think they are good ones. The main suggestion being that both teams change sides so that both teams have the opportunity to fly the planes of both sides; that way the plane match-ups are definitely fair for both sides. This would require that RBWar would be extended from 4 weeks to 8 weeks (if we use all 4 maps and each team switches sides for each map).

This suggestion would be easy to implement. We could start it immediately and have RBWar 4 week 2 exactly as week 1 (Marne map, N11 vs Halb D2) but the German team would switch to the allied plane (N11) and the allied dromes; the Allied team would switch to the German plane (Halb D2) and the german dromes.

Your opinion on this? I think it's a good suggestion and am for it.

The other suggestions, as already listed above, is to make sure the teams have even sides for the matches (IE: if one team is short for a match, then some pilots from the other team temporarily switch sides to even the teams for that match).
Harry

Post by Harry »

Salute!

Both ideas are very good ones!
I am willing to switch sides to even up the teams if need be (as a GT we always do this in open servers to keep teams even) As for switching as a whole team to fly both sides that is also a great idea, if only that it extends this what I consider to be one of the top three, best toruneys.

Again Salute! and thanks Pickett for a great tourney!! And thanks to the many pilots that participate!!!

Harry aka FragelGT
US95~Willowmaker

Post by US95~Willowmaker »

:mrgreen: I think the 8 week is a good idea. It would make it a fair war. Than we all can see what the enemy planes are like. I like getting together with all, and without a good war we do not get together as much. We can also make an even amount on both sides. I will fly either side. :twisted: W.M. PS. Thanks Pickett for all the work u are putting into keeping this game and rb going. Salute.
Flybert

Post by Flybert »

I too like the 8 week switch side idea .. though I think we should rename the "Allied" and "German" private areas, perhaps "Team 1" and "Team 2" so we and Pickett won't need to switch members' areas weekly

However, I'm not so sure about making the sides completely even, nor do I think the Gerrman side's loss, particularly of this magnitude, was solely due to having less pilots. In Week 1 of RBWar3 German side had a 16 to 13 advantage over Allied yet Allied won 353 to 286 and the kills were even, also indicating the N11 and Halb D2 are fairly matched

Marne map as configured is to Allied's advantage, IMO, as well, where Target Flanders used in RBWar3 seems even for both sides

However, 15-11 is quite a big difference and MajDDalton has newly returned to the game after several years .. so the ratio was in practicality 15-10 .. a huge difference

I do acknowledge the teams should be equalized to some degree though for fun's sake though .. perhaps never more than + 2 (?) .. which only can be determined in TS before the game really, as sometimes pilots show that didn't sign up, others that do sign up sometinmes don't show .. some show a few minutes late

And I don't think it's necessary remove temporary switchers from the team's private area .. Allied at least, has only put up plans a couple of times, one time we changed in TS, and this week we changed in flight recognizing that the enemy drome was too well defended to attack early on .. ( this strategy by the German team limited further the number of bombers they were able to field and probably resulted in more deaths )

perhaps a better solution, if JGS4 / J99 expect to be short pilots in RBWar4, would be to have GT or J9 or US95 switch teams, yet still equalize to at most +2 for each match(?)
US95Pickett

Post by US95Pickett »

S! all, I've updated the schedule to implement the 8 week schedule for RBWar 4 effective immediately whereby each team will switch sides on each map.

Week 1 of RBWar 4, the German team was very short because shortly after the start of the match, J99 Willi von Luft had a power outage in her area due to a storm and she wasn't able to rejoin the remainder of the week 1 match. And it was the first RBWar match for JGS4DustyDalton who had just recently restarted flying RB3D again.

I've updated/added a rule to address the pilot shortage problem so that the team that is short can request temporary pilots from the other team to help even the playing sides.

I think we can leave the private team forums as is and rely on the honesty and integrity of the temporary pilots not to reveal any war plans they are/were privy to. I'll change the private team forums if any pilots switch over to the other team on a long term basis like the J9 pilots did in an effort to even the shortage of Allied pilots.

I can't speak for all of the US95th pilots, but I will gladly switch sides for a war series to help even the playing sides if needed (and I think most of the other US95th pilots would too).
US95Pickett
Flybert

Post by Flybert »

It's just great to fly with and against people just about all of us have know for many years now

I ran into Dalton on TS a couple of weeks ago .. he was BA_Sanders, and I remember him well .. he's talked to Tinkerbell recently and it was great to catch up

I feel like the old man of Red Baron II / 3D now, having played since Dec 1997, even if for the last 6-7 years it's just been in whatever organized games come up

thank you so much for doing this my friend .. there's still a minor chance to revive this game with an expanded and enhanced official version .. there'd be little chance at all to justify it in my mind if there was were not an event still running ..

Return to “Help and Suggestions”