teams choose plane match-ups ?

Problems or suggestions for the Red Baron War series? Post here.
US95Pickett

teams choose plane match-ups ?

Post by US95Pickett »

S! all, what do y'all think of allowing the two teams to chose the plane match-ups for the RBWars?

Of course, the teams would need to pick plane match-ups that are fair to both sides. No choosing Bullet v D7 or E3 v Spad13 :lol:

If it sounds like a good idea to you, we could start it in RBWar 2 week 3 (German team chooses plane match-up) and RBWar 2 week 4 (Allied team chooses plane match-up). Then starting with RBWar 3, the German team chooses plane match-up and maps for weeks 1 & 3 and the Allied team chooses plane match-up and maps for weeks 2 & 4 (or vice-versa).
US95Pickett
Harry

Re: teams choose plane match-ups ?

Post by Harry »

Salute! Pickett, you've done a hell of a job so far, why ruin it with "team selecting plane match ups"? Myself and I believe most if not all the rest like the line-up for RBWars round 2. If you are agreeable maybe we could do it for "round 3?"... the current setup works well, the plane match-ups, the rules, the server and most of all the fun we're all having. If there was any need to change anything perhaps allowing room for a few more pilots per side? Bump it up to 12 pilots/side and maybe allow team selections on aircraft for round 3?
US95Pickett

Post by US95Pickett »

S! all, rgr Harry, we'll leave plane selections alone and I'll set the server for 12 pilots per side starting in week 3 of RBWar2 (if there aren't any objections to having 12 pilots per side).
PatGarrett

Post by PatGarrett »

...ya, not a good idea Sir....deal with what ya get and plan for it accordingly....matchups (even historically) will never be "right on"...but the scedule I saw was great. I suggest keeping things the way they are.
Perhaps though, for RBWar3, might be an idea to get a general opinion from all as to "equal" matches, then go from there. But with one choice per side, there shall always be those who disagree, just the way it is.
I even thought about suggesting 2 choices per side...one bomber, one fighter....but that would take away from the jist of the war itself, so never mind. Alternating "advantage" would be good, and seems like RBWar2 is bang on there. Only other option would be to switch sides on same map, but that would make the war longer (not that I'd mind)....
And a little OT, but my choice for Alsace would have been the southern 3 sectors, where all the mountains and valleys are....adds another dimention to the map, and that was Alsace's swansong. Too late now, but perhaps for RBWar3....
Swordfish

Post by Swordfish »

I also dislike the idea of teams selecting plane match-ups. Too much risk for arguments and conflicts.
I prefer the current situation with a "benevolent dictatorship" by the tournament organizer. It worked well in Cold War, and so far it has worked very well here too.
Keep up the good work, Pickett! Crack your whip too, if needed! :twisted:

12 planes per side is fine with me, the more the merrier. :)
But I guess we'll have to put up a recruiting poster for the allied side, and start giving out fringe benefits for those who fly with us. Huns appear to outnumber us in terms of listed pilots. Perhaps I need to get a new deodorant? :mrgreen:

S!wordfish 8-)
Lt. Swordfish
Royal Air Corps
http://wallenborg.se/swordfish
US95Pickett

Post by US95Pickett »

S! all, rgr, we'll keep the plane match-ups as is, instead of having the teams choose the plane match-ups.

I realize the plane choices won't make everyone happy, that's human nature but I do want the plane match-ups to be as fair as we can make them for both sides in each overall RBWar.

I am working on another version of the Flanders map that will have 2 dromes per side and about 50 targets per side. Perhaps we can set it up so the teams will switch sides; IE: one week the allies fly allied, the German fly German, and the following week, the German team fly allied and allied fly German. (these suggestions had been made previously by some of the pilots). I'll post more on this new version of Flanders as I progress on the work.
US95Pickett
Swordfish

Post by Swordfish »

US95Pickett wrote:Perhaps we can set it up so the teams will switch sides; IE: one week the allies fly allied, the German fly German, and the following week, the German team fly allied and allied fly German.
That's fine with me, but how on earth shall we then decide if the allieds or germans have won the tournament? :mrgreen:

With that setup, we'll probably need some other names on the two teams. ;)

S!wordfish 8-)
Lt. Swordfish
Royal Air Corps
http://wallenborg.se/swordfish
US95Pickett

Post by US95Pickett »

S! all, rgr Swordfish, you're correct ;) Was just trying to come up with formats that everyone might enjoy :D
US95Pickett

Return to “Help and Suggestions”