RBWar - Flying Coffins

Post here with your ideas to design a new or old tournament the way you want it done or think it should be done.
FegalGT

Re: RBWar - Flying Coffins

Post by FegalGT »

sounds fun,

after rbwar then?
JGS4JAKOBY34B_LT

Post by JGS4JAKOBY34B_LT »

S! All!

Looking forward to flying!

S! Jakoby
JGS4_AirSurfer

Post by JGS4_AirSurfer »

Great work Sirs!

Count with JGS4 for all needed.

S!
AirS...
Muttley

Post by Muttley »

Swordfish,
In your FC server now (long flight home on auto).

Server is up and resets but maybe we can schedule a daily "battle" or agree to meet a certain time to have a match. Forward logs to me and I'll be happy to score. That way pilots can show up when they can make it and others will see the activity and catch the "buzz". Fun fun game, thanks for hosting!
S! Muttley
Swordfish

Post by Swordfish »

Rgr Muttley, a good proposal.

By running scheduled FC test and practice games we can hopefully attract more pilots. My RB3D server has a limited bandwidth (I have an ADSL connection to internet) and it can only host a maximum of about 12 pilots (perhaps we can squeeze it up to 14), but that is probably good enough for some test and practice games to try out the format.

At the moment I just start the server manually and let it run for about 24h before it is restarted, but if we run it on schedule I can set it up for the real match length.

The current server PC is a Win98SE machine, I will have to figure out how to set up and run the RB3D server program with security as scheduled events in Windows (a function which I have never used before). It would be nice if the mailing of the logs could also be automated, but let's do things one step at the time.

I will take a look at this and see if I can get it together. I'll post here if/when I have something ready for testing.

Best regards
Swordfish 8-)
Lt. Swordfish
Royal Air Corps
http://wallenborg.se/swordfish
Muttley

Post by Muttley »

S! Swordfish,
Although I have hosted servers in the past, I am a little green with scoring, automation and security. I do have a security piece Tiger gave me that was used in RBWL and such, but you may have that already (I recall sending you something years ago). I remember from J30 Gunter and Reinamann that they would run the match using Windows Scheduler, then of course the score file was created but I'm not sure how to auto email it - maybe that part is a big jump (otherwise I would have to access to a certain folder remotely). I have a few PC's and Servers available for use but I think the bottleneck past 14 players will be the bandwidth. I read recently that Sweden is top 3 in bandwidth speeds, it will take US 30 years to catch up lol (CPU Magazine). But I do have access to 20+ MBPS connections.

Anyway, we'll keep working on this project and maybe if we post here, someone with skills we are looking for will jump in with advice or better yet, volunteer some responsibilities.

I remember J30 offering FC everynight at a certain time and we would be there promptly since we only had limited time. Others would see the number of pilots and jump in, but they were explained the rules and usually it was too much in chat. Maybe we should just offer this during the week at a certain day and night to the RBWar gang and take it from there, just a thought.
S! Muttley
RAC_Draegon

Post by RAC_Draegon »

The server log file needs to be fed through a log distiller program to get the scores I believe.

You can mail the logs out raw, or after you distill them.

And for FC nights, it's best to have it passworded, to save us from incidents that occurred in the past. ;)
"Live in the Air, Die in my Fire!" ;)
Swordfish

Post by Swordfish »

OK, I am ready to give it a try.

You are hereby invited to a Flying Coffins Fun Day on Sunday, 23 Jan 2011 at 21:00 CET (that's 3:00 pm EST). Please see my post in the General section of this forum for more details. The server will have a password. ;)

If this works out ok, more FC Fun Days will follow and I will try to work out the scoring setup. Thank you for your support and for providing the TS2 server, Muttley!

Best regards
S!wordfish 8-)
Lt. Swordfish
Royal Air Corps
http://wallenborg.se/swordfish
PatGarrett

Post by PatGarrett »

RAC Garrett will be there with guns a' blazin'....I have a 30mbps conn DL and 5-7 up and an extra P4 comp we could use for a server as well...just need to learn how to get the server recognized....all works, but nobody sees...I think it has to do with router/modem setting for firewall (which Ive tried), but someone told me I need "DMZ"....can anyone assist with that ?
Muttley

Post by Muttley »

Great connection Pat!

From what I remember, you have to configure your router at the port forward setting, add an entry with you server's ip address and port number that you select in RB, in XP I also went to the Firewall and opened the port number.

Of course Sword has all of this documented the thorough gentleman that he is:

http://rb3d.net/Swordfish/RB3Dserver.ht ... a%20server
S! Muttley

Return to “Other Tournament Development”