Scores from Flying Coffins Fun Day April 03, 2011

General forum of the Flying Coffins tournaments

Moderator: Flying Coffins Moderators

RAC_Draegon

Re: Scores from Flying Coffins Fun Day April 03, 2011

Post by RAC_Draegon »

A132 is listed as destroyed, therefore the Allieds, NoMurC, have already garnered the points for the drome, as it's listed in his Target's Destroyed list.

Many of us have flown FC literally hundreds of times, so we've found some good strategies to win at FC. :cool2:

And yes, in this FC, any plane lost by you costs 4 points, regardless of mech or being shot down, and goes against your score. In the 2009, death points weren't counted against the team losing the planes, but in this one it does.

So you not only lose the value of your plane to the enemy as the value is added to their score, your score always loses 4 points per plane lost.

Kinda makes you wonder how many planes is it worth losing to get a CAP'd target eh? :wink2:

2 bombers lost in a CAP'd drome attack just cost your side 13 points for your planes, for a net loss of 1 point for the team, and that's IF you managed to get the drome before getting shot down.

I always think about the cost/benefit ratio's before diving into possibly hopeless situations when I'm flying an expensive plane. :mad2:
"Live in the Air, Die in my Fire!" ;)
RAC_Arnold Layne

Post by RAC_Arnold Layne »

S!

Draegon I attacked factory 330 but it was hard.All large buildings went down and 2 small ones and it still didn't register as destroyed :( .Unless we get credit for hard targets we don't get the factory bonus.
"It is necessary only for the good man to do nothing for evil to triumph."
Edmund Burke
RAC_Bandy

Post by RAC_Bandy »

DOH!
:deadman2: Sorry
FogelGT

Post by FogelGT »

PatGarrett wrote:
I thought about hitting 143 (was close), but The Elder Fogel talked me outta it, and to go for the bonus, which I did...
I am curious as to when someone actually started to listen to me.

Ok, lone bomber to A143 equals -8 points and a trip home in a box. Don't think for a second A143 wasn't well tended.

Question 1: When did Camels have radar installed? Was this late war or does BigBertha just have a good nose?
Question 2: Anyone else notice n cons were not always working? I run stock and in Direct Draw.

And so it goes.........

Fog
Swordfish

Post by Swordfish »

Salute!

Thank you all for your feedback. This is the second objective of the Fun Days, to get feedback and to identify potential problems (the first objective is to have fun!).

As several pilots have noticed, there is an inconsistency in the rules and the scoring regarding death points and AA/Mech deaths. Let me give you some facts and background, and my view on these issues:
  • I have been re-using the rules from the FC2 tournament two years ago (spring 2009), the only changes I made (as posted recently) concerns the deployment of plane types and pilots within each team.
  • Rule #40 clearly states that "Mech-deaths (ie, death by AA or crashing or starting new life either deliberately or by accident) will be (-4) points for all aircraft types." The same rule also says "The scoring program scores these types of points automatically." This is only partly true, I'll come back to this issue later.
  • It is also clearly stated in the rules: "40 -i. Kill points (plane values) and Mechs will be counted by the scoring program but not Deaths." This is were the problem starts.
  • The scoring setup I have used so far is my own attempt at recontructing the scoring of Flying Coffins. I have not been able to find a way to make the scoring program differentiate between AA/mech deaths and "normal" deaths by the guns of another pilot.
    For this reason I set the death point to -4, because this makes it expensive to ditch your plane on the way back from a bomb run.
    The back side of the coin is that all deaths will cost you 4 points.
  • After I designed my own FC scoring setup, I had contact with J30_Gunther and he has kindly sent me scoring setup files from FC2. J30 used a more complex setup with two different scoring setups to handle both open bombing and red boxed targets. This means that the scores will require manual editing to combined into one. That seemed like unnecessary work to me, so I preferred to use my own setup.
  • In view of the comments on this Fun Day, I have looked into the J30 scoring setup in more detail. What puzzles me is that in both their setup files, the score for deaths is zero points per death. And yet when I look at some of the scores from the FC2 tournament in 2009 (see e.g. http://jasta30.atfreeforum.com/flying-c ... -t375.html) it is clear that some pilots have recieved a -4 penalty for AA/mech deaths. I have no idea how they managed to do that if the scoring setup files that I received from J30_Gunther are the ones that were actually used in the tournament.
  • To put it simply: I don't know how to make the scoring program tell the difference between an AA/mech death and a "natural" death. For this reason, I propose that we keep the present scoring setup, and I will adjust and clarify the rules accordingly. I like the fact that loosing a plane is expensive, IMHO it adds more realism. Hold on to your life!
  • I will contact J30_Gunther to see if he can spread any light on this mystery and how they managed the scoring in FC1 and FC2. But until further notice, FC3 will be scored with -4 points for all deaths, so you better get used to it and adjust your tactics accordingly ... :twisted:
Best Regards
Swordfish
(Benevolent FC3 dictator) 8-)
Lt. Swordfish
Royal Air Corps
http://wallenborg.se/swordfish
Swordfish

Post by Swordfish »

RAC_Arnold Layne wrote:S!

Draegon I attacked factory 330 but it was hard.All large buildings went down and 2 small ones and it still didn't register as destroyed :( .Unless we get credit for hard targets we don't get the factory bonus.
S! Arnold, the rules are quite clear about this:
34. Targets that become hardened will not be counted for points without a 'Target Destroyed' message appearing on chat. Nor will they count toward the target goal bonus.
S!wordfish 8-)
Lt. Swordfish
Royal Air Corps
Swordfish

Post by Swordfish »

FogelGT wrote:Question 1: When did Camels have radar installed? Was this late war or does BigBertha just have a good nose?
Question 2: Anyone else notice n cons were not always working? I run stock and in Direct Draw.
Fog
S! Fogel,

Answer 1: Camels are well known for their good nose. They can smell an oasis in the desert miles away, so a hun bomber oozing from sauerkraut is easy picking ... :mrgreen:

Answer 2: This is a new problem to me, but then I always fly in Glide because I like the eye candy. If I loose N cons it's normally because I run away from them when the tactical situation so requires and I am on a bomb run ... :roll:

Best regards
Swordfish 8-)
Lt. Swordfish
Royal Air Corps
PatGarrett

Post by PatGarrett »

Don't think for a second A143 wasn't well tended.
...actually, I flew right by it en route north, and was nobody there....I could have dropped it easily, unless a new spawned (just passe Fish en route at mud's edge)....but, as stated, I listened and flew N to get another bridge and then some....see Foggy, I was taught to listen to my elders (*snicker*)....not necessarily to heed them though...that was my choice.... :lol:

Rules IMO are fine Herr Fishe....best that they can be done seeing circumstances....sehr schick !!!!

And as for Foghorn Leghorn's comment about E, N keys, I agree....but I remember the J30 FC had the same issues....distances dont seem to work properly, and as a bomber, Ive notice it w/the T key....and when in Glide, and I press Num 0, my map too often vanishes....seems to help to fly in DD, but that sucks....
I dont know the answer, only guesses...Sword has no issues, but flies W98...I unfortunately fly XP now as Im sure Fogel does...but I had same issues when I flew FC in W2k.....
I thought about running the map through Flyberts map/pal editor, but have forgotten the commands....yaa...Im getting senile....but why does my map show 1 out of 15 tries ?...this is NFM, so not an issue there...tells me its a map issue....(Ill mail you my thoughts Sword)....
But I remember chatting with RAC Draegon about it in an open server once before I ever joined RAC....I "think" he told me he had a patch for it (correct me if Im wrong Draegon)....I think I even had the patch, but lost it in an HD crash (was hacked actually, and I know who...wont say here)....
My main problem has been with the map not showing when Im in Glide....distances mean a lot, but loss of location sucks for a bomber....and dont mention the FAW no red plane thing....still had the map then and saw where landmarks are...I been flying blind a lot during these matches, no map at all...(map d-load from Fish AND Murph, btw...)

Will mail you Sword....
RAC_Draegon

Post by RAC_Draegon »

Factory 327 and factory 329 are both went down properly, and are recorded in the Targets Destroyed list and assigned to the pilots that dropped them.

No factory went hard, both factories registered, so the bonus is the only thing missing. :cool2:

I can't recall any patch for maps Pat, although I have most related RB3D patches.

I lost my 'N' key for a while during the match as well Fogel.

It just happens to me sometimes for no reason, although i have noticed if I have a lock on someone, and they exit, like on a flamer, I lose my 'N' key almost always. :shock:
"Live in the Air, Die in my Fire!" ;)
Swordfish

Post by Swordfish »

RAC_Draegon wrote:Factory 327 and factory 329 are both went down properly, and are recorded in the Targets Destroyed list and assigned to the pilots that dropped them.

No factory went hard, both factories registered, so the bonus is the only thing missing.
Ahem, there are actually three factories on each side. According to Arnold's post above, he attacked F330 but it seems to have gone hard and it is not recorded in the Targets Destroyed list. Thus, according to the rules there will be no Allied bonus for factories. Bad luck, but such things happen.

S!wordfish :cool2:
Lt. Swordfish
Royal Air Corps

Return to “General”