Rise of Flight for FREE

general forum about Rise of Flight
Swordfish

Re: Rise of Flight for FREE

Post by Swordfish »

I give up now. :(

I have tried to uninstall RoF and re-install it again with all options (DirectX, .NET etc) enabled, but I still get "Error #14: Unable to connect to game server" when I try to register the game, even with all SW firewalls turned off. :?

I am pretty familiar with computers, and I have got RB3D running on several PC's in the family with Win98SE, WinXP and even on Windows7. Some with Voodoo cards, and some with Glide wrappers. I can also run RB3D servers from within my LAN behind firewalls.
If RoF requires more PC skill than that to get it running on my best PC (AMD Athlon X4 630, GeForce GTS 250, Win XP SP3) then it's not for me. :evil:

Sorry guys, but I'll stay with RB3D and later I may perhaps give IL2 a try.

S!wordfish 8-)
Lt. Swordfish
Royal Air Corps
http://wallenborg.se/swordfish
RAC_Arnold Layne

Post by RAC_Arnold Layne »

Sorry to hear that you have such a problem getting ROF to work...While there are some things about RB that I like better for the most part I'm finding ROF more realistic and the dogfights have been awsome...the bombers are great and alot of fun also.

The main thing I'm finding is that I'm running into old friends from the old days and flying with them again.IL2 is the same...I have found my old friend and wingman from the first squad I was in from RB2.We wing together alot in IL2.I'm looking forward to trying out the new IL2 Cliffs of Dover.
"It is necessary only for the good man to do nothing for evil to triumph."
Edmund Burke
Flybert

Post by Flybert »

Swordfish wrote:S! Pickett,

I am about to give up on this. I have followed your updated and more detailed game setting instructions and made sure that all the ports are open in my router. Even with Windows and ZoneAlarm firewalls turned off I still get "Error #14: Unable to connect to game server". :evil:

I have also downloaded the DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer from Microsofts web site and tried to update DirectX as FegalGT suggested, but it tells me that I already have the latest version. :?

Also, looking at the posts in the forum link in FegalGT's post, it seems like I am not the only one with this problem.
I guess I'll stick to Red Baron 3D, it works well on all my three computers. This modern stuff is obviously not meant for me ... :roll:

S!wordfish 8-)
You're welcome to come over to http://www.wingwalkers.org/Forum/ and hook up with our RoF experts .. which include WWBrian who is an RoF tester still .. I'm about the only guy in WW not flying the sim yet, however 20+ other WW are and we've solved just about every problem there is to get our guys up and running
FegalGT

Post by FegalGT »

Swordfish

Post by Swordfish »

S! Fegal,

Thanks a lot for that hint!
I did as suggested in the post and registered at their web site, and now I can at least start the game! :)
The next challenge is to learn how to fly the sim with new views and keyboard commands ... :?
And after that try to fly online, where I'll most likely be at the receiveing end of some turkey shooting ... :mrgreen:

Thanks again for your help!

S!wordfish 8-)
Lt. Swordfish
Royal Air Corps
http://wallenborg.se/swordfish
US95Pickett

Post by US95Pickett »

S! all, Swordfish, glad you have the Rise of Flight game running OK now.

I should have mentioned that you have to register at the Rise of Flight forum first before installing the game. I have edited my posts in the threads above to include registering at the RoF forum first and then follow the install instructions.

Hope you enjoy the game!
US95Pickett

Return to “General”