A local soldier comes home....

General forum of the Red Baron War series
PatGarrett

A local soldier comes home....

Post by PatGarrett »

I suppose in a big city, it wouldnt seem as important, but in this small town of just over 3000, this hit really hard. :cry:
-------------------------------------
GREENWOOD LAKE — A local Marine described as “angelic,” and who was married just before shipping out to combat, was killed Wednesday while on patrol in the Helmand province of Afghanistan.

Lance Cpl. Scott A. Lynch, 22, of 21 Shore Drive, died while conducting a combat operation, according to the Department of Defense.

He is the third serviceman from the region to be killed in Afghanistan. A total of 20 service members from the region have died in the Afghan and Iraqi wars.

“He was amazing,” said Tanya Lynch, 22, his wife, who found out Wednesday afternoon about her husband's death. “He loved unconditionally and everybody around him loved him.”

The couple were married in May just before Lynch shipped off to Afghanistan.

Tanya Lynch said she spoke by phone to her husband Monday, and he told her he was going out on patrol as part of his information-gathering sniper platoon, said he loved her and that he'd speak to her this weekend.

Lynch was scheduled to come home in January before receiving more training. After his deployment ended in October 2012, he hoped to get a job with the state police and the couple planned on settling in the area, said John Sterling, his father-in-law.

Sterling said it was important the couple got married before Lynch deployed oversees. While he was stationed at Camp Lejune, the couple drove to see each other every weekend, he said.

“He was just such a great guy,” he said. “They were madly in love and it was just meant to be. I was proud that he married my daughter”

The couple met because Lynch had become friends with Tanya's brother, Tyler, after the Sterlings moved to the area about four years ago. The two started dating shortly afterwards. Lynch was a good person with an “angelic” aura, Sterling said.

“He was a very rare person; no one ever had a bad word to say about him and everybody loved him,” Sterling said.

Besides his wife, Lynch is survived by his parents, Tammy and Jim Lynch, of Kentucky, formerly of Greenwood Lake, and two brothers, Jimmy and Jerry.

Tanya Lynch said there will be a service locally, but no funeral plans have been set yet and the family plans to speak to the U.S Marines Friday. Lynch was assigned to 2nd Battalion, 6th Marine Regiment, 2nd Marine Division, II Marine Expeditionary Force, out of Camp Lejeune, N.C.

*S*! Lance Cpl. Lynch !!!!....Semper Fi !!!...welcome home, son....
---------------------------------------------
http://www.midhudsonnews.com/News/2010/ ... Oct10.html

http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.d ... 996&Ref=PH

-------------------------------

...Garrett
FegalGT

Re: A local soldier comes home....

Post by FegalGT »

Sad news indeed pat.
I feel for his wife.

Being ex Army I have lost 3 Acquaintance in that war.
Tis sad, But that is the life these men chose.

-SALUTE!- Lcpl Lynch RIP
JGS4JAKOBY34B_LT

Post by JGS4JAKOBY34B_LT »

Salute! LCPL Lynch...Thank you for your service to our great nation.

Jakoby

Former U.S. Coast Guard, DC2
PatGarrett

Post by PatGarrett »

....damnit...just made a long post, and all got deleted....some kinda "60000"charachter thing...will need to remember that.....like our own RAC Murph, and former RAF Louvert, I can get long winded at times......sheeeeIT.....

LcCpl Lynch was burried yesterday in the next town. Same todo (short version)...musta been 250 bikes from the NamVets club et al....even Angels (nb Hells Angels were some of the first to VOLUNTEER for Vietnam)....

Id added a bunch of commentary on the general subject of war, etc., and lost it, so perhaps better in another thread....

Remember...Afghanistan and all that is NOT an official war...neither was "Nam" (hint)...Im getting tired of the US military doing the bidding of a bunch of fatass politicians....

I pray to whatever gods there be, to pull US and UN troops out of the Middle East completely, since they are there illegally, and returning either maimed/sick/or in body bags.

The Western world has never understood middle easterners nor far easterners. And any military leader will tell you : you cannot beat your enemy until you know them (think it was Rommel that said that)....

"Vietnam" was a "conflict"...a "political war"...remember what happened ?...how many body bags ?...many friends missing or gone...Afghanistan is a continuation....
Are Americans too stupid to think that they can do better than Russia there ?

...anyway Lynch...."ooh rah !!!"....

>editted by PG for spelling and link<

Return to “General”