Suggestions for RBWar 2

Problems or suggestions for the Red Baron War series? Post here.
PatGarrett

Re: Suggestions for RBWar 2

Post by PatGarrett »

The suggested matchups look great, almost exactly what I had in mind....as for maps, I'd put the monos on an Island map (unless we increase pilot counts), and for the flanders map, use just the middle 3 (B,C,D)....a curtailed map so to speak ref what bro Sword mentioned, and such as was used in Flying Coffins....actually, many of the maps could be "trimmed some", for the exact reason that Sword mentioned....
Thinking also, about adding a "second drome" option....one each side, but set way back, so, you either take a penalty for a dead drome start, or suffer with a long flight....a strategic decision....
I could offer up a few "cut" map suggestions and examples if you'd like....but lets get this baby going !...Im itchin for another !!!!!! :twisted:
US95Pickett

Post by US95Pickett »

S! all, good suggestions all, although I really would like to hear the suggestions from the German team on what plane match up they think is fair too.

In regards to changing/redoing the maps, I'm hesitant about doing so for a couple reasons:
1) Real life obligations prevent me from having the time to build new .dat files and create new maps at this time, perhaps sometime in the not too distant future though...
2) Murph has been extremely kind enough to spend a huge amount of his limited free time to make the existing custom maps into a set of his usual high quality maps for RBWar and it wouldn't be fair to ask him to redo them again.

Here's another possible plane lineup for RBWar 2:
N17 v Alb D2 - Flanders Map
N24 v Alb D3 and Alb D2 - Alsace Map
Sop Tripe v Fok DR1 - Verdun Map
Camel and Snipe v Fok DR1 and Fok D7 - Marne Map

We could start RBWar 2 this coming weekend (Saturday March 27 or Sunday March 28) or whatever weekend is good for all.

Should we alternate the weekend days for the matches between Saturday and Sunday like was done for RBWar 1 or should we have all matches on Saturdays or on Sundays only?
US95Pickett
PatGarrett

Post by PatGarrett »

Speaking only for myself, days matter not to me. (I know some of the matches clashed with Redux Funday, :lol: :twisted: )....
Personally, I'd like to see them flown a bit earlier though, as I think more of the European pilots would show then.
Is there a poll feature here, if so, perhaps take a poll, then go with majority, no ?

Garrett
Swordfish

Post by Swordfish »

I'm happy with alternating between Saturday and Sunday games, it's difficult to be booked on the same evening for serveral weeks in a row.

And 3.00 pm EST is a good match time for me, in Europe it's 9.00pm CET (= 8.00pm GMT) if we disregard the temporary upsets caused by unsynchronized switching to summertime. ;)
No need to start matches earlier, that would only interfere with evening meals.

S!wordfish 8-)
Lt. Swordfish
Royal Air Corps
http://wallenborg.se/swordfish
PatGarrett

Post by PatGarrett »

Was in the Flanders server today with a J99....AlbD2 and N17 doesnt work. Plain and simple. D2 was faster, so even eluded me and went from Ekey to Nkey, then nothing.....he dropped 3 minor targets after that because I lost him, and he was already damaged, yet I was behind him and knew where he was . Monos would have been better for the first, the D3 vs N24 for next. N17 bombs great (got their drome and 2 RR on same sortie), but forget defense and fighting, they'll just run away.....but an N17 cant outrun or chase them down. Also underarmed. Only hope N17 vs Alb is to porpoise from behind and shoot the bellypan.
So, I figure our only hope is to go N17s in pairs, and bomb the crep outta em.....

....probably should have put this in another thread, but Im in severe pain and have internal bleeding now, so just wanted to make a quick post........please feel free to delete or move......

Garrett
US95Pickett

Post by US95Pickett »

PatGarrett wrote: Lets go back to more basics (screw the fighter types)...I still say N17/24 vs D2/D3...and that STILL gives Huns advantage...since the Albs had dual Spandaus and were more durable....
PatGarrett wrote:when I flew with the PJ666, who were an Alb squad, that how we always practiced...N17 vs D2, and N24 vs D3.....
PatGarrett wrote:The suggested matchups look great, almost exactly what I had in mind....
You had suggested the N17 v Alb D2, so I set up one of the matches as N17 v Alb D2 and now you are complaining....

Very few of the RB3D planes are a perfectly even match-up. The best we can do is pick plane match-ups that are close and try not to make the match-ups favor one side more than the other side "overall" for the RBWar; in other words, let's not choose plane match-ups that favor the allied side for all four weeks or favor the German side for all four weeks.

I know the plane match-ups aren't perfect; but "overall", I think the plane match-ups are fair/even for the two sides.

Another option (I think was suggested by US95Waldo), would be to set up the matches so the sides would switch planes; I.E. - the German side would fly the D7 for 2 weeks and the allies fly the N24 for the same 2 weeks, the following 2 weeks the German side would fly the N24 for 2 weeks and the allied side fly the D7 for 2 weeks.
US95Pickett
PatGarrett

Post by PatGarrett »

Not complaining Sir, just commenting, that we have to really hone our strategies for this particular matchup. I just dont remember the D2 being that much faster than the 17. Its tough, I understand, with the "one type per side" format. And it is what it is.
Actually, I saw a similar comment by Draeg about switching sides. That truly would be most fair. Maybe for RBWar_3...because Im sure ther'll be one. :D
US95~Willowmaker

Post by US95~Willowmaker »

8-) Salute. I had a good time in the last war. We lost but we fought hard. I will be back. :) W.M.
PatGarrett

Post by PatGarrett »

Here's a twist....
We seem to both (sides) be getting all of the ground targets fairly early (not counting dromes).....how about offering a bonus to the team which has at least one target left standing (dromes excluded) at end game ?....
That could offer up a few interesting furballs towards the end of a match......it oft ends up that way anyway, but this would give it that lil bit of "extra inspiration" and add another aspect to strategies.....
Just a thought.....

Return to “Help and Suggestions”