server bandwidth

General forum of the Red Baron War series
US95Pickett

server bandwidth

Post by US95Pickett »

S! all, I just contacted the server host service and asked them to increase the network connection bandwidth of the RBWar server from 100mb to 1000mb if possible (at extra cost, of course ;) ). I will let you know their response as soon as I receive it.

If they will increase the network connection to 1000mb, then hopefully it will increase the stability level of our tournaments: no one will get dropped hopefully during the matches, ping rate will be lower for our brothers in Europe, we could increase the number of pilots, etc. The network connection rate would be the connection rate of the server directly to the internet, and at 1000mb, would give us a connection rate far in excess of a T3 line :mrgreen:

If they will increase the network connection bandwidth to 1000mb (no guarantee that they will), I doubt that it will be done in time for this Sunday's week 5 match of RBWar2 but it would definitely be ready for RBWar3 (if everyone wants a RBWar3 war).
Swordfish

Re: server bandwidth

Post by Swordfish »

admin wrote: ... If they will increase the network connection bandwidth to 1000mb (no guarantee that they will), I doubt that it will be done in time for this Sunday's week 5 match of RBWar2 but it would definitely be ready for RBWar3 (if everyone wants a RBWar3 war).
I would very much like to have a RBWar3 (and RBWar4, and RBWar5, ... ) :D

Thank you very much for your efforts to keep RB3D MMP alive, Sir!

S!wordfish
Lt. Swordfish
Royal Air Corps
http://wallenborg.se/swordfish
JGS4JAKOBY34B_LT

Post by JGS4JAKOBY34B_LT »

I agree with Swordfish. More RBWars and more pilots per side.

S! Jakoby
J99°Dirk

Post by J99°Dirk »

if the Rb3D community is decreasing, but big enough to man 16 per side... it would be nice to have tournaments running... even "just" 12 to 16 each side for one match a weekend means playing it... better than nothing!

If we have additonally

a.) more pilots... then we can set up 12 vs 12 on 2 matches a weekend
b.) the same 12 to 16 per side willing to fly 2 dates a weekend... but i guess RL will prevent much pilots to fly 2 dates a weekend.

So depending on the number of pilots willing to fly one match a weekend we can "adjust" our small tournament by 1 match with 12 or 16 on each side...
Or, if much more sign in... we can have 2 dates a weekend with 12 to 16 per side.

So we can adjust in many ways... as long as we have 12 to 16 pilots per side ready to fly... we can host such a small tournament an keep RB3D alive.

Only if it drops to less than 8 per side it could become "boring"... but even though I remember some matches with 8 vs 8 and we had fun...

Kepp it going, keep it alive... I will be there until "Alamo" status will appear. :mrgreen:
Watch Your six!!!
FEA99 Willi von Luft

Post by FEA99 Willi von Luft »

Salute Pickett and the rest of you all,

First of all thank you Pickett for your efforts in providing a fun tourney environment for us to play in. This sandbox is alot of fun.
Second, you are requesting a increase in BW for the server. Thank you for that. Now for the rest of the players, we have been playing in a lovely sandbox and have not had to pay a thing for the privilege. IMHO it is time for us to step up to the plate and contribute to the server maintenance. I propose that each one of us give a donation to Pickett for the server. It is not right for one person to shoulder the burden while the rest of us party. Give up a nite of eating out and donate that money for the server so we can continue to enjoy the sandbox. Come on you all let's show our appreciation to Pickett by donating to the server maintenance.

FEA99 Willi von Luft
Resident Target
Resident Hun(ey)
US95Pickett

Post by US95Pickett »

S! all, I just heard back from the hosting service and they will increase the network connection bandwidth from 100mb to 1000mb, but it will mean they have to physically move the RBWar server to a different location within their datacenter. The move will take place sometime between midnite and 4am; I'm waiting now to find out what day/date the move will take place. :mrgreen:

In regards to donations for the server, that's not necessary nor requested, but I do appreciate the offer. As long as I can afford it, this will be my contribution to the RB Community.

But thanks to each and everyone of you, because without you, there wouldn't be a RBWar!!!
US95Pickett

Post by US95Pickett »

S! all, the RBWar server has now been upgraded from a 100mb to 1000mb (1gig) network connection bandwidth. The hosting service just completed the move of the RBWar server to its new location in their data center and it is now ready for the RBWar2 week 5 match this Sunday. Hopefully it will make for a more stable RBWar server for us all.
PatGarrett

Post by PatGarrett »

Gods bless ya Sir......I'd run it on my T1, but could never get a server to show.....
Youve filled a BIG void in this community by creating and presenting this war....something others promised, but never did....
I salute you Sir, and may RB_War just develop and grow from here !....perhaps even a longer match w/more targets and pilots....the rules rock !

*S* !!!....RAC Lt PatGarrett.....(esq.... ;) )

Return to “General”