RBWar - Flying Coffins

Post here with your ideas to design a new or old tournament the way you want it done or think it should be done.
Swordfish

RBWar - Flying Coffins

Post by Swordfish »

Salute, all!

During the allied pre-game briefing on TS before the match yesterday there was some talk about Flying Coffins. This is a war format created by J30 that was appreciated by many pilots (including me). Two open Flying Coffins tournaments were held, FC1 in late fall of 2008 and FC2 in the spring of 2009.

It just want you to know that in my RB3D archive I have the Flying Coffins server setup files, rules, and custom map from March 2009 (i.e. FC2), plus a schedule document from 2008 (FC1).
So, if there is interest in resurrecting this format I think I can provide all the stuff we need except for the server.

S!wordfish 8-)
Lt. Swordfish
Royal Air Corps
http://wallenborg.se/swordfish
PatGarrett

Re: RBWar - Flying Coffins

Post by PatGarrett »

I occasionally keep in contact with J30 Gunter...and IMO would be a great mod if a fuller map was used instead of a partial, and J30 give their permissions to use. I understand they may be modifying it for IL2...guess thats where they all went....
I did notice however, that the LE and the PJ666 may be resurrecting for RB...guess the grass on the other side isnt always as green.... ;)
Would be nice to get some of the vet pilots back flying again !!!!
Swordfish

Post by Swordfish »

Well, outside of the rules there is not so much that has been modified in Flying Coffins.
I think the only mod compared to the stock RB3D install is that you need a custom Flanders map (which is made by Murph, so we should have no problem using it) and a corresponding custom landmark file on the server side.

The files I have (including the server setup) were all downloaded from the public Flying Coffins web site, so I don't see any problem in using them in a new FC type tournament provided that we give due credit to J30 where needed.

For those who are unfamiliar with the FC format, you can find more info at the Flying Coffins web site.
The downloads are no longer available (with the exception of Murph's custom map), but like I stated in my earlier post I think I have all gthe files that are needed in my archive.

If there is interest in this I could try to set up a practice server for Flying Coffins and post the rules and map on my web site. The bandwidth would be limited to 10-12 pilots, but that's probably good enough for practice sessions.

S!wordfish 8-)
(RB3D patch archaeologist)
Lt. Swordfish
Royal Air Corps
RAC_BigBertha

Post by RAC_BigBertha »

S!

I liked FC and would like to fly it again.
US95Pickett

Post by US95Pickett »

S! all, I just posted the following over at the J30 forum:

http://jasta30.atfreeforum.com/jasta-30 ... -t588.html

"Flying Coffins Tournament
Postby US95Pickett on Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:44 pm
S! all, some of the pilots flying in RBWar have expressed an interest in another Flying Coffins Tournament. Would your squadron be willing to host another Red Baron Flying Coffins Tournament? Or, if your squadron is not interested in hosting another Flying Coffins Tournament or doesn't have the time for it, could I have your permission to host a Flying Coffins Tournament on the RBWar tournament server that I run?
Thanks!
US95Pickett"

Perhaps J30 will run another Flying Coffins Tournament. Hopefully, they won't mind us running a Flying Coffins Tournament (if there's enough interest in it) if they don't want to run a Flying Coffins Tournament themselves.
US95Pickett
Lederhosen

Post by Lederhosen »

Salute

I'd fly Flying koffins
Swordfish

Post by Swordfish »

S! Pickett,

J30_Reinamann has posted the following reply to your request in the J30 forum:
Re: Flying Coffins Tournament
Postby J30<>Reinamann on Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:52 pm

Hello US 95th Picket.

Thanks for stopping by.
I am pleased to see that you want to run the J30 Flying Coffins tournament.
It seems that RB pilots liked the game in general, and if I had access to a server after FC-2 ended, I would have run an FC-3 tourney. The US95th is a good group, so feel free to go ahead and host an RB Flying Coffins tournament.

Most of J30 are now flying ROF.
And as you are probably aware, the RoF team just came out with a HP bomber (with the Gotha and 2 seaters being next). So with the introduction of heavy bombers and 2 seater recon aircraft, I am sure ROF tourneys will start up sometime next year, with J30 perhaps putting up an ROF Flying Coffins tournament.

S!
Reinamann
So now we have a green light to run RBWar Flying Coffins if the RBWar community is interested. :)
Email me if you want the FC files.

S!wordfish 8-)
Lt. Swordfish
Royal Air Corps
Swordfish

Post by Swordfish »

Salute!

I have now set up a test and practice server for Flying Coffins and posted the rules and custom map on my RB3D web site (http://www.rb3d.net/Swordfish/fc.htm).

The bandwidth is limited to 10-12 pilots, which means that I cannot host the full number of pilots (a maximum of 14 pilots are allowed per side according to the original rules).
But hopefully the server is good enough for test and practice sessions so that all who are interested can become familiar with the format.

No patches except a custom map is needed. You can even fly without the custom map, but then you'll be missing some target info.

The server will be running daily during this week until Friday, Jan 31, after that there will be a break for about a week because I will be away on holiday.

I hope you'll like it
S!wordfish 8-)
Lt. Swordfish
Royal Air Corps
PatGarrett

Post by PatGarrett »

...dang, Jr....you Swedes take a heck of a lot of vacations !!!...maybe I should move there.... :lol: ...
Muttley

Post by Muttley »

I love Flying Coffins! Some of us were lucky enough to stumble upon J30 testing on open servers and our input was part of the final product. I saw the server up before I noticed this post, great marketing Swordfish!

If we did have a tournament, it wouldn't surprise me if J30 would put a team together to compete. But that aside we have plenty of flyers to justify a tournament. Also mixing things up and having multiple smaller teams will be good for morale IMO.
S! Muttley

Return to “Other Tournament Development”